2009년 9월 27일 일요일

So Real yet So Far-fetched: The Afghanistan War



There is a war going on in the same continent that I live in, yet I do not readily feel its ramifications in my life. The only effect that these seemingly 'fairy-tale' wars have on me is
that they ruin my appetite when televised broadcasts of yet another military deployment hums through the television screen as I am about to eat dinner. And yes, I feel very ashamed for saying and thinking this because, whether you like it or not, the war is REAL and it is happening. There are tens and hundreds of innocent civilians, oblivious sufferers, and American troops dying from this conflict each day. And I shudder in disgrace as I find myself complacently pitching tent in my safe little home and pointing fingers at the 'aggressors' and calling them names.
What I, and the rest of the public that is so vehemently opposed to the war has to understand is that it is not so easy to just pull out. America, by entering the war, has made a commitment. This war is, as we can see, wearing that commitment down to its bones. America came in Afghanistan almost as an instinctive response to the 9-11 attacks. It was a natural reaction, I suppose, and people roiled with feelings of insecurity were supportive of it in the beginning. The goal was set: exterminating the Al Quaeda and its purveyors, the Taliban.
Now, as the US struggles to tie the strings together and bring the war to an end, the whinny American public has been anything but supportive. Now that it has been 8 years since the 9-11 attacks, maybe the feeling of invincibility has been restored in the heart of Americans once more, that's great. But what we have to understand here is that terrorism still poses an unsurmountable threat to the US. It is a matter of domestic security that the troops need to be in Afghanistan. It is a matter of safety for the American citizens. If US pulls out, that means that the Americans are asking for another 9-11. Troops need to be there and apply that constant pressure on the terrorist forces. The unfettered commitment and religious devotion that the terrorists forces work with are what makes them so dangerous and volatile. Who knows what will happen if the Americans are not there to subdue their treacherous religious zeal?
Now, today it is un-cool to be supportive of the war. The youth is against it. Violence is not cool. Catcalls are heard when images of Condolezza Rice appear on the screen. "Pulling out is not an option for America" she says. And as I am boo-ing along with the rest the viewers, I can't help but to agree. America will stay put in Afghanistan, at least for now.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기